Friday, February 3, 2012

The Path to the Unknown.

For all those who don't already know me -- I'm a senior at the University of Northern Iowa and next fall I will be doing my student teaching in a brand new country. The only thing I have to figure out is what country, not a big deal right? Wrong.

I have one place in mind and have been thinking about all semester and that is Tanzania in Africa. There are so many exciting things that I can experience if I were to go over there. I have obviously done my research on the school over over and the teaching possibilities that are offered there are just what I need/want. One (personal) reason is that I will be able to go on some awesome field trips (um, Mt. Kilimanjaro!). Then one (professional) reason is that I can perfect my inquiry teaching skills. As a science minor I was taught how to use inquiry in the classroom but the problem is that it's a new method being used here. A lot of schools use it in Iowa but it's just beginning so I figure that if I come back here with that experience under my belt then that will really help me find a job.

Buttttttttt-

In my seminar class we were all told about an overseas recruitment fair that we have a chance to go to. Looking at a list of about 100 schools from around the world I started wondering where would be my best option. I called up my dad (from now on he will be known as Papa D, FYI) for some help and together we narrowed it down to Costa Rica, Dubai, Madagascar, and, obviously, Tanzania. Starting tomorrow I will be looking more closely at the three other schools. I have reasons for each of those schools but none as strong as Tanzania but, hopefully, tomorrow I will be able to make a decision.



You tell me how I'm supposed to pick from these beautiful places?!

No comments:

Post a Comment