Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Hapana Sama Hani!

Well, I have survived my first week in the class and two weekends here in Moshi!

The class I have is....wonderful. I can't even begin to explain how well-behaved and adorable they all are. I have students from: Tanzania, India, USA, Holland, UK, and France. There is quite a range in academic level (even a bigger one than I had expected being with two grade levels). I am a little nervous about that because that requires a lot of extra planning but I am up to the challenge and am extra glad that I will have help from an experienced teacher. Speaking of my cooperating teacher, she is...GREAT! Not only in the classroom but out, she is making me feel so welcome. Her and her husband have helped me in so many ways so far and I don't know how I would have lived these past couple weeks without them. 
I will be teaching the "Wonderful Me" unit. The unit will have the students reflect on why they are the way they are and how they got to be that way. It's a way to get the students to start thinking in a deeper way. I already have some small plans but I still need to sort through them all. That's the tough part ;) I know at the end I want to create a video of all the students with their reflections... I'll post it when it's finished. Hopefully, it all works out as planned! 
This weekend I will be going on a hiking trip with the middle school students. Should be a great experience. I looked at the pictures from last year's trip and the sites are just beautiful. I will be sure to post picture of that online here for those of you who don't have me on Facebook. There is also a staff camping trip coming up at Lake Chala. It, too, looks beautiful. I feel very lucky already and I've only been here two weeks. With my class and outside activities, I couldn't ask for a better experience! Except, I am struggling with the time difference when it comes to talking to people at home. Well, the time difference and the lack of reliable phones and terrible internet. It's just something that I have to get used to, though! Miss you all! 

Tutaonana,
Ashley

P.S. I am still not used to being a "blogger" yet so just deal with me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment